The Better Business Bureau of Chicago and Northern Illinois (BBB) has offered up a list of tips for victims of severe storms so they can avoid being scammed by shoddy contractors.
Some suggestions are:
• Do your research by reading business reviews and ratings, and by confirming proper insurance and licensing on BBB.org.
• Contact your insurance company about policy coverage, filing requirements and recommended contractors. Save receipts for food, temporary lodging, or other expenses.
• Get more than one estimate.
• Resist high-pressure sales from contractors who only offer a “good deal” if you hire them on the spot.
• Many municipalities require a solicitation permit, so be careful of salespeople or contractors going door-to-door. Ask for identification, check their vehicle for a business name, phone number and in-state license plates.