BlackRock's former real estate head is joining a crowdfunding startup's investment committee with hopes...
Jack Chandler told Business Insider that as an investment manager, he had long watched the "rise of private investors and the mass size of investor pools," and was interested in the "democratization" that crowdfunding could allow for. CrowdStreetCrowdStreet, a real estate crowdfunding company, has brought former BlackRock real estate head Jack Chandler onto the company's advisory board and investment committee. Chandler was the global head of real estate of BlackRock for seven years, and spent 25 years at LaSalle Investment Management, including a stint as global CIO. Business Insider spoke to Chandler about investing during a pandemic, and the differences between investing during a financial crisis versus investing as real estate is fundamentally shifting. Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories. A former BlackRock exec is joining the advisory board and investment committee of CrowdStreet, a commercial real estate crowdfunding platform, where his counsel could help smaller, accredited investors to get their hands on potential coronavirus real estate gains. Jack Chandler will bring more than 30 years of experience in the commercial real estate world to CrowdStreet. Chandler is a big get for CrowdStreet, which claims to have raised $1.3 billion for more than 460 projects, and for the
Footage shows police entering the Notre Dame basilica in Nice, France, where a man stabbed three people. It's the third such assault in a month, as a debate around depictions of Prophet Muhammad in France has stoked anger in several Muslim nations. Photo: Sebastien Nogier/Shutterstock NICE, France—A knife-wielding man killed three people—nearly decapitating one of them—in the Notre Dame Basilica in Nice, police said, in an assault being treated as an act of terrorism. The attacker Thursday entered the church, in the center of the French Riviera city, using a knife to slash the necks of his victims. One man’s throat was slit and a woman’s throat was “cut deeply in an apparent effort to decapitate her,” a French official said. A third victim managed to flee the church but later died from her wounds. The attacker shouted “Allahu akbar” before he was shot by police and detained, the official said. France hasn’t yet publicly identified the suspect. Two French officials described him as a 25-year-old Tunisian who illegally entered the European Union through the Italian island
BRUSSELS (AFP) - EU leaders on Thursday (Oct 29) condemned recent attacks in France and urged the world "to work towards dialogue and understanding among communities and religions, rather than division". In a statement issued by EU Council chief Charles Michel, the 27 leaders expressed solidarity with France but made no reference to the controversy over cartoons mocking the Prophet Mohammed. "We, European leaders, are shocked and saddened by the terrorist attacks in France," the statement said. "We condemn in the strongest possible terms these attacks, which represent attacks on our shared values. "We stand united and firm in our solidarity with France, with the French people and the government of France - in our common and continued fight against terrorism and violent extremism. "We call on leaders around the world to work towards dialogue and understanding among communities and religions rather than division." Earlier Thursday, a man wielding a knife had attacked and killed three people praying inside the Basilica of Notre-Dame in the French city of Nice. On October 16, another knifeman murdered a French history teacher who had been criticised by Muslim parents for showing pupils caricatures
SpaceX's Falcon 9 rocket takes off with the Crew Dragon spaceship and its first astronauts at the Kennedy Space Center on May 30, 2020...
The State Department has approved turning over to Japan two Massachusetts men to face charges that they helped smuggle former Nissan Chairman Carlos Ghosn out of the country while he was awaiting trial on financial crimes. Lawyers for Army Special Forces veteran Michael Taylor and his son, Peter Taylor, disclosed the department’s decision in a court filing in federal court in Boston as they sought to delay the transfer, which could happen later Thursday. Lawyers for the Taylors did not immediately respond to requests for comment, nor did the White House and State Department. The State Department’s decision came after a federal magistrate judge in September rejected the two men’s challenge to their potential extradition following their arrests in May at the request of Japanese authorities. Prosecutors say the Taylors facilitated a “brazen” escape in which Ghosn fled Japan on Dec. 29, 2019, hidden in a box and on a private jet before reaching Lebanon, his childhood home, which has no extradition treaty with Japan. Ghosn was awaiting trial on charges that he engaged in financial wrongdoing, including by understating his compensation in Nissan’s financial statements. Ghosn denies wrongdoing. The State Department notified the Taylors’ lawyers of its decision on