Burning Man has been canceled for the second year in a row: 'We recognize that the pandemic is not over'

0
23

The Burning Man festival has been canceled for a second year in a row, the organizers said Tuesday. “We recognize that the pandemic is not over,” CEO Marian Goodell said. Last year, thousands of fans held their own makeshift festivals in violation of social-distancing guidelines. See more stories on Insider’s business page.

Black Rock City will not be built in 2021, Burning Man CEO Marian Goodell announced Tuesday.

“We recognize that the pandemic is not over,” she said, explaining why Burning Man will not take place this year.

Earlier, the festival’s organizers were weighing a decision over whether to require attendees to provide proof of vaccination.

Last year’s pivot to a virtual festival didn’t stop thousands of fans from holding their own makeshift festivals in violation of Nevada and California social-distancing guidelines.

An economic analysis by the organizers found Burning Man is responsible for roughly $60 million in revenue for the state of Nevada each year.

This is a developing story…